my friends together and have a laugh. I run a sweepstake, every one chips in a few pounds and the countries in the final are divided between the group, winner takes all. Countries were originally allocated via the "paper in a hat" method. However, now that I am computer science student, I thought there must be a way to do this more efficiently......and if not efficiently at the very least more "Techy".
EuroVision Sweepstake Python Application
Every year I use the great sonic festival that is EuroVision as an excuse to get my friends together and have a laugh. In an effort to make things more interesting I run a sweepstake, every one chips in a few pounds and the countries in the final are divided evenly between the group, with whoever was allotted the winning country taking home the pot.
The allocation of countries originally took the form of the tried and tested "paper in a hat" method. However, now that I am computer science student, I thought there must be a way to do this more efficiently. Also my printer is broken and I didn't want to write all the counties on a piece of paper. I had been looking for an excuse to learn Python and web frameworks so put together a simple application that assigns countries from the EuroVision Final to a list of user supplied people. This currently uses Flask as the web framework to make a simple web interface that people on the local network can log onto and see which countries they have been assigned. It is open source and up on Github.
Some features I want to add in the future are:
- A web interface for entering data about names and countries.
- A method to scrape the final list of countries from the web so the user doesn't have to enter it
- The system currently reads information from 2 text files (names in one and countries in the other). Eventually I would like to have a database which holds all the information about each countries entries, odds, votes form local users etc.
- Each user who logs on can vote at the end of the each countries song and therefore your party can have its own results page updated live.
- Find some way to scrape the votes information from the web so that a live leader board of your party can be maintained. If everyone has 2 or more countries an aggregate score could be calculated.
- Make the app standalone so it can be installed on 1 pc which can host the application on the local network.
If anyone wants to contribute I would be very grateful!